Effect of Inhibitory Modelling Technique in modification of bullying behavior among secondary school boarding students
1 Faculty of Education, National Open University of Nigeria, Gusau Study Center, Lagos, NIGERIA2 Faculty of Education, Federal University Gusau, Gusau, NIGERIA* Corresponding Author
Mediterranean Journal of Social & Behavioral Research, 7(3), October 2023, 161-168, https://doi.org/10.30935/mjosbr/13401
Published Online: 18 June 2023, Published: 01 October 2023
OPEN ACCESS 176 Views 103 Downloads
This study investigated the effect of inhibitory modelling technique (IMT) in modification of bullying behavior among senior secondary school boarding students in Zaria, Kaduna State, Nigeria. The pre-/post-test quasi experimental control group design was adopted. The entire senior secondary two boarding students in Zaria constituted the population for the study. The sample for the study was 282 (172 males and 110 females) students drawn from three boarding secondary schools. Two intact classes in each of the three schools were used. The treatment package for the experimental group was IMT. To establish the relative effect of the treatment in modifying bullying behavior, both experimental and control group were pre- and post-tested using research instrument titled involvement and attitude bullying rating scale. The instrument was validated and have the reliability coefficient of 0.87. Four hypotheses were formulated and were tested using t-test at the α=0.05 level of significance. The study revealed that IMT emerged superior to traditional school counselling technique for modifying attitude to, and involvement in bullying among secondary school boarding students. IMT was also found to be effective for modifying both male and female participants’ attitude to, and involvement in bullying. It was recommended among other that school counsellors should adopt IMT as an anti-bullying intervention for counselling secondary school students against bullying as well as for prevention or modification of bullying behavior in boarding schools.
Ibrahim, H. B., Dahiru, A. S., & Isma’il, A. (2023). Effect of Inhibitory Modelling Technique in modification of bullying behavior among secondary school boarding students. Mediterranean Journal of Social & Behavioral Research, 7(3), 161-168. https://doi.org/10.30935/mjosbr/13401
- Allen, K. P. (2010). A bullying intervention system in high school: A two-year school-wide follow-up. Studies in Educational Evaluation, 36(3), 83-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.stueduc.2011.01.002
- Aluede, O. (2011). Managing bullying problems in Nigerian secondary schools: Some interventions for implementation. Bangladesh E-Journal of Sociology, 8(2), 60-68.
- Badejo, A. O., & Ubangha, M. B. (2002). Of bullies and their victims in secondary schools in Lagos, Nigeria: Imperatives for teacher education [Paper presentation]. The 4th International Conference on Teacher Education.
- Bravo-Cedeño, J. A., & Avila-Rosales, F. M. (2022). School bullying and learning in high school students. International Research Journal of Management, IT & Social Sciences, 9(4), 631-638. https://doi.org/10.21744/irjmis.v9n4.2130
- Brien, N. O. (2016). To ‘snitch’ or not to ‘snitch’? Using PAR to explore bullying in a private day and boarding school [Doctoral dissertation, Anglia Ruskin University]. https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.23076.88967
- Carbone, S., & Cocodia, E. A. (2019). Bullying intervention and solution-focused brief therapy: A review of the literature. The Asian Institute of Research Education Quarterly Reviews, 2(2), 386-394. https://doi.org/10.31014/aior.1993.02.02.71
- Chen, H., Guo, H., Chen, H., Cao, X., Liu, J., Chen, X., Tian, Y., Tang, H., Wang, X., & Zhou, J. (2023). Influence of academic stress and school bullying on self-harm behaviors among Chinese middle school students: The mediation effect of depression and anxiety. Frontiers in Public Health. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2022.1049051
- Chu, X. W., Fan, C. Y., Lian, S .L., & Zhou, Z. K. (2019). Does bullying victimization really influence adolescents’ psychosocial problems? A three-wave longitudinal study in China. Journal of Affective Disorders, 246, 603-610. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2018.12.103
- Corey, G. (2008). Theory and practice of counselling and psychotherapy. Brooks/Cole Publishing Company.
- Egbochukwu, E. O. (2007). Bullying in Nigerian schools: Prevalence study and implications for counselling. Journal of Social Sciences, 14(1), 65-71. https://doi.org/10.1080/09718923.2007.11978400
- Ekwelundu, C. A. (2022). Effect of assertiveness training technique on bullying behavior of secondary school students in Anambra State, Nigeria. European Journal of Social Sciences Studies, 7(2), 118-131. https://doi.org/10.46827/ejsss.v7i2.1230
- Ettu, T. U. (2011). Assessment and management of bullying behavior among senior secondary school students in Owerri, Nigeria [Doctoral dissertation, University of Lagos].
- Fatah, W. O. A., El‑Maksoud, M. M. A., & Elkhalek, H. A. A. (2022). A psychoeducational intervention for teachers about bullying behavior prevention among secondary school students. Middle East Current Psychiatry, 1, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1186/s43045-022-00212-1
- Federal Republic of Nigeria. (2013). National policy on education. NERDC Press.
- Fei, L., Liao, M., Ke, L., Zou, Y., Li, X., Chen, Y., & Zhang, R. (2022). School bullying among Chinese third to fifth grade primary school students in a cross- sectional study: The protective effect of psychological resilience. PLoS ONE, 17(12), 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0278698
- Francia, G., & Edling, S. (2016). Children’s rights and violence: A case analysis at a Swedish boarding school. Childhood, 24(1), 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1177/0907568216634063
- Greeff, P., & Grobler, A.A. (2008). Bullying during the intermediate school phase: A South African study. Childhood, 15(1), 127-144. https://doi.org/10.1177/0907568207086840
- Haralambos. M., Holborn, M., & Heald, R. (2008). Sociology: Themes and perspectives. Harper Collins Publishers.
- Ikeagu, C. N. (2006). Psychological skills for managing bullying behavior as perceived by primary school teachers in Aguata Education Zone. The Educational Psychologist, 1(4), 11-14.
- Isma’il, A., Gadzama, M. I. K., & Bako, S. P. (2016). Bat roosts and associated nuisance in public primary and secondary schools in Zaria, Nigeria: A problem worth addressing. International Journal of Education and Research, 4(1), 47-56.
- Jegede, S., Ememe, P. I., & Gami , T.O. (2009). A survey of the prevalence of deviant behaviors in secondary schools in Lagos State. African Journal of Crime and Criminal Justice, 1(1), 277-300.
- Kilicaslan, F., Beyazgul, B., Kuzan, R., Karadag, D., Koruk, F., & Koruk, I. (2022). The prevalence of peer bullying and psychiatric symptoms among high school students in Southeast Turkey. Nordic Journal of Psychiatry, 77(1), 83-90. https://doi.org/10.1080/08039488.2022.2134450
- Lu, L., Fei, L., Ye, Y., Liao, M., Chang, Y., Chen, Y., Zou, Y., & Li, X. (2022). Psychological resilience may be related to students’ responses to victims of school bullying: A cross-sectional study of Chinese grade 3-5 primary school students. International Journal Environ. Res. Public Health, 19, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph192316121
- Matsani, S. R. (2022). Investigation of bullying in high school students by gender and school type. Vision International Scientific Journal, 7(1), 61-82. https://doi.org/10.55843/ivisum2271061rm
- Nguyen, T. H., Nguyen, H. M. T., Ha, T. T., & Nguyen, N. N. (2022). The role of teacher and peer support against bullying among secondary school students in Vietnam. The Journal of Genetic Psychology, 183(5), 391-398. https://doi.org/10.1080/00221325.2022.2099243
- Nugrohoand, S., & Ainyfardhana, N. (2018). Bullying at Islamic Boarding School: A pilot study in Pekanbaru. International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, 119(15), 2095-2100. https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.16266.77768
- Nwankwo, C. A., & Unachukwu, G. O. (2006). Disruptive behavior disorders identified in primary and post-primary schools in Anambra State: Implications for school administration. The Educational Psychologist, 2(1), 10-11.
- Obe, M. E. (2009). Bullying treatments. Kidscape.
- Olweus, D., & Limber, S. P. (2010). Bullying in school: Evaluation and dissemination of the olweus bullying prevention program. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 80(1), 124-134. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-0025.2010.01015.x
- Omoteso, B. A. (2010). Bullying behavior, its associated factors and psychological effects among secondary students in Nigeria. The Journal of International Social Research, 3(10), 499-509.
- Ossa, F. C., Jantzer, V., Eppelmann, L., Parzer, P., Resch, F., & Kaess,M. (2021). Effects and moderators of the Olweus bullying prevention program (OBPP) in Germany. European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 30, 1745-1754. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00787-020-01647-9
- Otta, F. E. (2007). Curbing violent behavior for quality assurance in the upper basic education [Paper presentation]. The 20th Annual Conference of the Curriculum Organisation of Nigeria.
- Pfeiffer, J. P., & Pinquart, M. (2014). Bullying in German boarding schools: A pilot study. School Psychology International, 35(6), 580-591. https://doi.org/10.1177/0143034314525513
- Ponce, R. G., Bayaras, P. I., Blanca, H. Y. A. M., Gutierrez, V. V., Horbino, V. L., Villaruel, J. V., & Billote, W. J. S. M. (2021). Bullying and self-concept among senior high school students. JPAIR Multidisciplinary Research, 45, 1-32. https://doi.org/10.7719/jpair.v45i1.764
- Raji, I. A., Sabitu, K., Bashir, S. S., Lawal, B. B., Kaoje, A. U, Raji, M. O. & Usman, A. A. (2019). Prevalence and predictors of bullying victimization among in-school adolescents in Sokoto Metropolis, North-Western Nigeria. International Journal of Contemporary Medical Research, 6(9), 11-18. https://doi.org/10.21276/ijcmr.2019.6.9.25
- Saldiraner, M., & Gizir, S. (2021). School bullying from the perspectives of middle school principals. International Journal of Progressive Education, 17(1), 294-313. https://doi.org/10.29329/ijpe.2021.329.19
- Salmivalli, C., & Voeten, M. (2004). Connections between attitudes, group norms, and behavior in bullying situations. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 28(3), 246-258. https://doi.org/10.1080/01650250344000488
- Salmivalli, C., Kaukiainen, A., & Voeten, M. (2005). Anti-bullying intervention: Implementation and outcome. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 75, 465-487. https://doi.org/10.1348/000709905X26011
- Saprilia, R. (2022). Identification of school bullying behavior in high grade students of state elementary school 001 Balam Jaya Kampar. EduGen: Educational Generation Journal, 1(1), 9-17. https://doi.org/10.56787/edugen.v1i1.6
- Sihidi, I. T., & Amirudin, Z. (2022). Anti-bullying campaign at the Mambaus Sholihin Islamic Boarding School 2 Blitar. Community Empowerment, 7(3), 434-441. https://doi.org/10.31603/ce.5788
- Song, Y. P., Han, X., & Zhang, J. W. (2019). Analysis of the situation of school bullying and related factors in junior high school students in China. Chinese Journal of Preventive Medicine, 53(10), 1032-1037.
- Sullivan, K., Cleary, M., & Sullivan, G. (2005). Bullying in secondary schools: What it looks like and how to manage it. Paul Chapman Publishing. https://doi.org/10.4135/9781446215296
- Wang, H., Tang, J., Dill, S.-E., Xiao, J., Boswell, M., Cousineau, C., & Rozelle, S. (2022). Bullying victims in rural primary schools: Prevalence, correlates, and consequences. International Journal of Environment, 19(2), 765. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19020765
- Williams, C., Griffin, K. W., Botvin, C. M., Sousa, S., & Botvin, G. J. (2023). Effectiveness of digital health tools to prevent bullying among middle school students. Adolescents, 3, 110-130. https://doi.org/10.3390/adolescents3010009
- Wilson, C., Parry, L., Nettelbeck, T., & Bell, J. (2003). Conflict resolution tactics and bullying: The influence of social learning. Youth Violence and Juvenile Justice, 1(1), 64-78. https://doi.org/10.1177/1541204002238364