Organizational commitment and interpersonal relationship of library personnel as determinants of work performance in Nigeria universities
1 Department of Library and Information Science, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, NIGERIA2 Kwara State Internal Revenue Service, Ilorin, NIGERIA* Corresponding Author
Mediterranean Journal of Social & Behavioral Research, 7(2), June 2023, 75-84, https://doi.org/10.30935/mjosbr/12843
Published Online: 16 January 2023, Published: 01 May 2023
OPEN ACCESS 405 Views 372 Downloads
This study was originated to scrutinize the effects organizational commitment and interpersonal relationship of library personnel as determinants of work performance in Nigeria universities. This study employed descriptive survey method. Total enumeration or census survey techniques were used to cover all the library personnel in the partaking Nigeria universities. This study employs two research hypotheses to guide the study. Findings revealed that there is significant relationship between organizational commitment and work performance, while there is also a positive significant relationship between interpersonal relationship and work performance.
Bankole, Q. A. (2023). Organizational commitment and interpersonal relationship of library personnel as determinants of work performance in Nigeria universities. Mediterranean Journal of Social & Behavioral Research, 7(2), 75-84. https://doi.org/10.30935/mjosbr/12843
- Abari, A., Olasunkanmi, Olamide, A., Mistura, Oguntuga, A. A., Adebisi, & Ibikunle, G. A. (2016). Principal-teacher relationship, teachers’ morale in Lagos State senior secondary schools, Nigeria.
- Ahad, R., Mustafa, M. Z., Mohamad, S., Abdullah, N. H. S., & Nordin, M. N. (2021). Work attitude, organizational commitment and emotional intelligence of Malaysian vocational college teachers. Journal of Technical Education and Training, 13(1), 15-21. https://doi.org/10.30880/jtet.2021.13.01.002
- Ahakwa, I., Yang, J., Tackie, E. A., Odai, L. A., & Dartey, S. (2021). The effects of job autonomy, organizational learning, and work environment on organizational commitment of public sector employees in the Ashanti Region of Ghana. International Journal of Scientific Research and Management, 9(1), 2099-2110. https://doi.org/10.18535/ijsrm/v9i1.em02
- Ahmad, R., Islam, T., & Saleem, S. (2019). How commitment and satisfaction explain leave intention in the police force? Policing: An International Journal, 42(2), 195-208. https://doi.org/10.1108/PIJPSM-12-2017-0154
- Akinyemi, B. O. (2014). Organizational commitment in Nigerian banks. The influence of age, tenure and education. Journal of Management and Sustainability, 4(4), 1-5. https://doi.org/10.5539/jms.v4n4p104
- Al Zefeiti, S. M. B., & Mohamad, N. A. (2017). The influence of organizational commitment on omani public employees’ work performance. International Review of Management and Marketing, 7, 151-160. https://dergipark.org.tr/en/pub/irmm/issue/32104/355806
- Alvord, M., Uchino, B., & Wright, V. (2019). Manage stress: Strengthen your support network. American Psychological Association. https://www.apa.org/topics/stress/manage-social-support
- Anyim, W. O. (2021a). Identifying gaps and opportunities to improve performance in university libraries using benchmarking and performance appraisal system. Library Philosophy and Practice, 5066.
- Anyim, W. O. (2021b). Cross-training and development of librarians for effective job performance in university libraries: Methods, challenges and prospects. Library Philosophy and Practice, 5220.
- Azeem, S. M. (2010). Job satisfaction and organizational commitment among employees in the sultanate of Oman. Psychology Journal, 1, 295-299. https://doi.org/10.4236/psych.2010.14038
- Azeem, S. M., & Akhtar, N. (2014). The influence of worklife balance and job satisfaction on organizational commitment of healthcare employees. International Journal of Human Resource Studies, 4(2), 18-24. https://doi.org/10.5296/ijhrs.v4i2.5667
- Billikopf, G. (2014). Employee discipline and termination. https://nature.berkeley.edu/ucce50/ag-labor/7labor/14.htm
- Burns, N., & Grove, S. K. (2010). Understanding nursing research-eBook: Building an evidence-based practice. Elsevier Health Sciences.
- Burns, L., Weissensteiner, J. R., & Cohen, M. (2018). Lifestyles and mindsets of olympic, paralympic and world champions: Is an integrated approach the key to elite performance? British Journal Sports Medicine, 53(13), 818-824. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2018-099217
- Cheah, C. S., Chong, V. S. W., Yeo, S. F., & Pee, K. W. (2016). An empirical study on factors affecting organizational commitment among generation X. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 219, 167-174. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2016.05.002
- Cherry, K. (2021). How to maintain interpersonal relationships. Verywellmind. https://www.verywellmind.com/how-to-maintain-interpersonal-relationships-5204856
- Coan, J. A, Schaefer, H. S., & Davidson, R. J. (2006). Lending a hand: Social regulation of the neural response to threat. Psychological Science, 17(12), 1032-1039. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9280.2006.01832.x
- Dajani, M. A. Z. (2015). The impact of employee engagement on job performance and organizational comitment in the Egyptian banking sector. Journal of Business and Management Sciences, 3, 138-147. http://doi.org/10.12691/jbms-3-5-1
- Dey, T., Kumar, A., & Kumar, Y. (2014). A new look at the antecedents and consequences of organizational commitment: A conceptual study. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 4(1), 281-287. https://ssrn.com/abstract=2695672
- Dominic, E., & Salim, M. H. (2018). A study on the role of organizational commitment and perception towards organizational justice and fairness in triggering organizational citizenship behavior among B school faculty members in Kerala. Rajagiri Management Journal, 12(1), 21-40. http://journals.rajagiri.edu/index.php/rmj/article/view/268
- Engelberg, B., Skinner, E., & Zakus, D. H. (2011). Exploring the relationship between commitment, experience and self-assessed performance in youth sports organizations. Sports Management Review, 14(3), 117-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smr.2010.05.003
- Farrukh, M., Ying, C. W, & Ahmed, N. O. A. (2016). Organizational commitment: Does religiosity matter. Cogent Business & Management, 3(1), 1239300. https://doi.org/10.1080/23311975.2016.1239300
- Fattah, A. H. (2017). The effect of organizational culture, leader behavior, self-efficacy, and job satisfaction on job performance of the employees. Jurnal Terapan Manajemen dan Bisnis, 3(2), 102-110. https://doi.org/10.26737/jtmb.v3i2.212
- George, L., & Sabapathy, T. (2011). Work motivation of teachers: Relationship with organizational commitment. Canadian Social Science, 7(1), 90-99. https://doi.org/10.3968/j.css.1923669720110701.009
- Goodwin, R. (2009). Changing relations: Achieving intimacy in a time of social transition. Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511551796
- Grav, S., Hellzèn, O., Romild, U., & Stordal, E. (2012). Association between social support and depression in the general population: The HUNT study, a cross-sectional survey. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 21(1-2), 111-120. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2011.03868.x
- Grego-Planer, D. (2019). The relationship between organizational commitment and organizational citizenship behaviors in the public and private sectors. Sustainability, 11, 6395. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11226395
- Gupta, V., Agarwal, U. A., & Khatri, N. (2016). The relationships between perceived organizational support, affective commitment, psychological contract breach, organizational citizenship behavior and work engagement. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 72(11), 2806-2817. https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.13043
- Hafiz, A. Z. (2017). A relationship between organizational commitment and employee’s performance: Evidence from banking sector of Lahore. Arabian Journal of Business Management Review, 7(2), 1-7. https://doi.org/10.4172/2223-5833.1000304
- Hanaysha, J. (2016). Testing the effects of employee engagement, work environment, and organizational learning on organizational commitment. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 229(8), 289-297. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2016.07.139
- Hayat, A., Azeem, M., Nawaz, R., Humayon, D. A. A., & Ahmed, D. M. (2019). Mediating effect of human capital on organizational culture, teamwork, organizational development, and organizational commitment. Journal of Social Sciences and Humanity Studies, 5(3), 1-9.
- Hsu, C., & Lawler, J. J. (2019). An investigation of the relationship between gender composition and organizational performance in Taiwan–The role of task complexity. Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 36(1), 275-304. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10490-018-9570-3
- Hur, H., & Perry, J. L. (2019). Job security rule changes and employee organizational commitment. Review of Public Personnel Administration, 0(0), 1-28. https://doi.org/10.1177/0734371X19842622
- Idiegbeyan-Ose, J., Opeke, R., Aregbesola, A., Owolabi, S. E., & Eyiolorunshe, T. A. (2019). Relationship between motivation and job satisfaction of staff in private university libraries, Nigeria. Academy of Strategic Management Journal, 18(1), 1-13.
- Ikonne, C. N., Unegbu, V. E. Soyemi, O. D., & Arinola, A. A. (2019). Correlational analysis of self-efficacy and job satisfaction of librarians in public universities in South-west, Nigeria. Library Philosophy and Practice, 2356.
- Jayaweera, T. (2015). Impact of work environmental factors on job performance, mediating role of work motivation: A study of hotel sector in England. International Journal of Business and Management, 10, 271-278. https://doi.org/10.5539/ijbm.v10n3p271
- João, A. L. D., & Portelada, A. F. S. (2016). Mobbing and its impact on interpersonal relationships at the workplace. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 34(13), 2797-2812. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886260516662850
- Joe-Akunne, C., & Ezeh, L. N. (2019). Organizational commitment among private sector workers in Anambra state, Nigeria. Practicum Psychologia, 9(1), 125-138.
- Joseph, S. (2013). What doesn’t kill us: The new psychology of posttraumatic growth. Basic Books. https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2011-24149-000
- Juneja, P. (2018). Interpersonal relationship. Management Study Guide. https://www.managementstudyguide.com/interpersonal-relationship-articles.htm
- Karunarathne, E., & Wickramasekara, A. (2020). Middle-level managers’ organizational commitment on their job performance in agricultural input distributing companies in Sri Lanka. International Journal of Information, Business, and Management, 12(4), 28-38. http://repository.wyb.ac.lk/handle/1/3108
- Kemoni, H. N. (2004). Melvin Defleur’s information communication model: Its application to archives administration. African Journal of Library, Archives and Information Science, 14(2), 167-175.
- Kibichii, K. E., Kiptum, K. G., & Chege, K., (2016). Effects of performance management process on employee productivity: A survey of commercial banks in Turkana County. IOSR Journal of Business and Management, 18(11), 52-62. https://doi.org/10.9790/487X-1811045264
- Kumasey, A. S., Bawole, J. N., & Hossain, F. (2017). Organizational commitment of public service employees in Ghana: Do codes of ethics matter? International Review of Administrative Sciences, 83(1_suppl), 59-77. https://doi.org/10.1177/0020852316634447
- Lapointe, E., & Vandenberghe, C. (2018). Examination of the relationships between servant leadership, organizational commitment, and voice and antisocial behaviors. Journal of Business Ethics, 148, 99-115. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-015-3002-9
- McCarthy, T. (2016). The role of the school vice principal and its relationship with the enactment of the Ontario leadership framework [Doctoral thesis, Western University Ontario]. https://ir.lib.uwo.ca/etd/4058/
- Mohammed, F., & Eleswd, M. (2013). Job satisfaction and organizational commitment: A correlational study in Bahrain. International Journal of Business, Humanities and Technology, 3(5), 43-53. http://www.ijbhtnet.com/journals/Vol_3_No_5_May_2013/6.pdf
- Muhammed, K., Toryila, A. S., & Saanyol, D. B. (2018). The role of interpersonal relationship on job performance among employees of Gboko Local Government of Benue State Nigeria. International Journal of Social Sciences and Management Research, 4(5), 67-74.
- Neubert, M. J., & Halbesleben, K. (2015). Called to commitment: An examination of relationships between spiritual calling, job satisfaction, and organizational commitment. Journal of Business Ethics, 132(4), 859-872.https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-014-2336-z
- Nguyen, T. H., & Tu, V. B. (2020). Social responsibility, organizational commitment, and organizational performance: Food processing enterprises in the Mekong River Delta. The Journal of Asian Finance, Economics, and Business, 7(2), 309-316. https://doi.org/10.13106/jafeb.2020.vol7.no2.309
- Njoku, N. E. A., Ogbo, R. N., & Okafor, J. N. (2020). Interpersonal relationship and institutional environment as predictors of principals’ job satisfaction in secondary schools in Imo State, Nigeria. British International Journal of Education and Social Sciences, 7(9), 1-23. https://www.cirdjournal.com/index.php/bijess/article/view/203
- Nwokike, O. A., & Unegbu, V. E. (2019). Evaluating the job performance of librarians in universities in south-east, Nigeria. Library Philosophy and Practice, 2536.
- Pattnaik, L., Mishra, S., & Tripathy, S. K. (2020). Perceived organizational support and organizational commitment: Moderating role of person-organization fit. Global Business Review. https://doi.org/10.1177/0972150920920776
- Philippe, R. A., Schiavio, A., & Biasutti, M. (2020). Adaptation and destabilisation of interpersonal relationships in sport and music during the COVID-19 lockdown. Heliyon, e05212. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2020.e05212
- Platis, C. H., Reklitis, P., & Zimeras, S. (2014). Relation between job satisfaction and job performance in healthcare. Social and Bahavioral Journal, 175, 480-487. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.01.1226
- Popoola, S. O., & Fagbola, O. O. (2021). Work-life balance, self-esteem, work motivation, and organizational commitment of library personnel in federal universities in Southern Nigeria. International Information & Library Review, 55(3), 214-228. https://doi.org/10.1080/10572317.2020.1840244
- Rahman, A. R., Shahzad, N., Mustafa, K., Khan, M. F., & Qurashi, F. (2015). Effects of organizational justice on organizational commitment. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 6(S3), 188-196.
- Robbins, P. S., & Judge, A. T. (2011). Organizational behavior. Prentice Hall.
- Sadoughi, F., & Ebrahimi, K. (2015). Self-esteem and organizational commitment among health information management staff in tertiary care hospitals in Tehran. Global Journal of Health Science, 7(2), 328-334. https://doi.org/10.5539/gjhs.v7n2p328
- Santos, A., Chambel, M. J., & Castanheira, F. (2016). Relational job characteristics and nurses’ affective organizational commitment: The mediating role of work engagement. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 72, 294-305. https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.12834
- Sethi, U. J. (2014). Influence of work-life balance on organizational commitment: A comparative study of women employees working in public and private sector banks. European Journal of Business and Management, 6(34), 215–219.
- Shafaee, M., & Bahramzadeh, H-A. (2019). The relationship between organizational commitment, organizational culture and the employee performance of the courts of the East Golestan Province. International Journal of Advanced Studies in Humanities and Social Science, 8(4), 321-331. https://doi.org/10.33945/SAMI/IJASHSS.2019.4.2
- Sharma, P., & Sinha, V. (2015). The Influence of occupational rank on organizational commitment of faculty members. Management Journal, 20, 71-91.
- Soomro, B. A., & Shah, N. (2019). Determining the impact of entrepreneurial orientation and organizational culture on job satisfaction, organizational commitment, and employee’s performance. South Asian Journal of Business Studies, 8(3), 266-282. https://doi.org/10.1108/SAJBS-12-2018-0142
- Sow, M. T. (2015). Relationship between organizational commitment and turnover intentions among healthcare internal auditors [Doctoral thesis, Walden University].
- Sprecher, S., Treger, S., Wondra, J. D., Hilaire, N., & Wallpe, K. (2013). Taking turns: Reciprocal self-disclosure promotes liking in initial interactions. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 49(5), 860-866. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2013.03.017
- Srivastava, R., & Tang, T. L. (2015). Coping intelligence: Coping strategies and organizational commitment among boundary spanning employees. Journal of Business Ethics, 130(3), 525-542. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-014-2234-4
- Stinglhamber, F., Marique, G., Caesens, G., Desmette, D., Hansez, I., Hanin, D., & Bertrand, F. (2015). Employees’ organizational identification and affective organizational commitment: An integrative approach. PLoS ONE, 10(4), e0123955. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0123955
- Suharto, Suyanto, & Hendri, N. (2019). The impact of organizational commitment on job performance. International Journal of Economics and Business Administration, 7(2), 189-206. https://doi.org/10.35808/ijeba/227
- Sungu, L. J., Weng, Q., Hu, E., Kitule, J. A., & Fang, Q. (2020). How does organizational commitment relate to job performance? A conservation of resource perspective. Human Performance, 33(1), 52-69. https://doi.org/10.1080/08959285.2019.1699562
- Tella, A., & Ibinaiye, O. A. (2020). Correlates of staff motivation, satisfaction, and job performance of library staff in selected Nigerian University libraries. International Information & Library Review, 52(1), 32-49. https://doi.org/10.1080/10572317.2019.1631691
- Tella, A., Ayeni, C. O., & Popoola, S. O. (2007). Work motivation, job satisfaction, and organizational commitment of library personnel in academic and research libraries in Oyo State, Nigeria. Library Philosophy and Practice, 118.
- Thoha, M. (2017). Contemporary public administration science. Kencana Prenada Media Group.
- Ubagu, M. M., & Gbuushi, J. A. (2020). Perceived effect of motivation on the job performance of library personnel of universities in Benue State, Nigeria. British Journal of Arts and Humanities, 2(1), 14-23. https://doi.org/10.34104/bjah.020014023
- Udofia, I., & Ibegwam, A. (2019). Stages of organizational commitment among librarians in university libraries in South-South, Nigeria. Library Philosophy and Practice, 2937.
- Valaei, N., & Rezaei, S. (2016). Job satisfaction and organizational commitment: An empirical investigation among ICT-SMEs. Management Research Review, 39(12), 1663-1694. https://doi.org/10.1108/MRR-09-2015-0216
- Widyaningrum, M. E. (2011). Influence of motivation and culture on organizational commitment and performance of employee of medical services. Academic Research International, 1(3), 228-235.
- Yahaya, R., & Ebrahim, F. (2016). Leadership styles and organizational commitment: literature review. Journal of Management Development, 35(2), 190-216. https://doi.org/10.1108/JMD-01-2015-0004
- Yousef, D. A. (2017). Organizational commitment, job satisfaction, and attitudes toward organizational change: A study in the local government. International Journal of Public Administration, 40(1), 77-88. https://doi.org/10.1080/01900692.2015.1072217
- Zachary, G. W. (2013). Spiritual leadership: investigating the effects of altruistic love on organizational commitment. International Journal of Arts & Sciences, 6(2), 767-789.
- Zaraket, W. (2017). Impact of Job involvement on organizational commitment: A case study of Lebanese public sector. International Humanities Studies, 4(3), 1-14.